Saturday, May 22, 2010

Quick tips are my style.

I am a well-known "cliff-note" kinda gal. Just give me the jist of it and I'll take it from there. Yes, I am lazy to a point and I don't apologize for it. But I get things done and that's all that matters.

So, when my mom went "Green" a couple years ago at Christmas-time and gave each of us kids, (three total) and spouses, (three total) gifts of books she already had over the years, it became a pleasant surprise on how she gave them based on our likes and dislikes (I received Cheapskate in the Kitchen if that tells you anything)

My husband received 200 Tips for Growing Vegetables in the Pacific Northwest.


This is where my "cliff note" mentality comes into play. My husband and I love to garden and we're pretty new at it so each year we learn just a little more. This book was a lifesaver in so many ways. It's short and concise. It provides just the basic info for all aspects of gardening; composting, growing corn, soil, natural pest control and oh, so much more. What it doesn't do is go on and on about each subject to where you don't even know what the point was in reading it anyway. I don't learn anything this way. Too much information bogs my mind. I like to get the quick version and then add to it with other tips from experts, if needed. Like composting, this "200 Tips" book provided just enough info to get us started and then we were able to adapt other tips as we went along. Now, through the years, with the addition of our wonderfully fragrant chicken waste to the compost, we can say we are almost experts. Well, not quite, but we're getting there...

No comments:

Post a Comment